Friday, April 12, 2013

So this is what it feels like to be a student...again

I am two weeks into my first term of college in 6...yes 6 years, and boy did I forget how much work and time it takes to be a student. Let me rewind two weeks and tell you how I came about taking classes again.

I called my Graduate program to make sure that I could take the prerequisite courses I still need while I am enrolled in the Grad program . "OH NO HONEY," is what  I was told, "You must take them BEFORE starting in July..." That meant I was supposed to start classes in 3 days (insert panic here).

So there I was trying to navigate a new online system, calling the admissions desks about 8 times and feeling like a dumb ass because I couldn't sign in to enroll in the classes. While I wiped my stress tears and figured it all out, I realized what I was in for. Needless to say my mind was racing for the entire weekend...ok it was more like the 5 days. 

One of the classes is an online Children's lit course which is proving to be A LOT of work. I am gaining a ton of useful info though, and I aced my first assignment, so I guess I can't complain too much. I did however dread attending my 4 hour class on Thursday nights...about  the Fundamentals of Music.

I pictured a dried up old professor lecturing for 4 hours about Bach, Chopin and Beethoven. Boy was I surprised when in walked my exubernet teacher, and his tales of teaching in Compton Ca,  explaining that the Recorder (yes the instrument we all learned about in elementary school) would be our bff this term. I was in for 4 hours a week of  horn tooting and pizza references (learning to read music). 

The one thing I was looking forward to about attending class on campus was the potential of meeting some guys through my class. Much to my dismay this is a typical Education course, aka there are only 2 males in the class and 1 is married. The other is a rip off of the Fonz. Epic fail.

Any whooo...  with all of that aside, I think this is going to be a great adventure. I do already know that having 6 years off from school has certainly given me more perspective to be a better and more productive student now. I could also chalk that up to the fact that I'm the one footing the bill this time around (Sugar Daddy applications being accepted).


No comments:

Post a Comment